PebblyPrattle

Much Ado about Nuthin'

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I remember iced tea. Iced tea on a morning in the swelter of summer, a morning like the breath of the satan side of God had torched the day with his yawn. I was so thirsty I remember being so thirsty and my mom giving me... I remember she was there with her friend and she was laughing at me as if she was somehow more clever than me, knew more about my being thirsty than I did and that she remembered to quench her thirst before she left, everyone did and it was only me who was thirsty that day and I was so small that I couldn’t possibly be as thirsty as I said I was, but I was. I remember I was so parched I felt I might not be able to stand up much longer and I remember that if I didn’t get something to drink soon that I might die. So she said to me that all there was all she had was iced tea and it wasn’t sweet and if I was that thirsty that I would have to drink it. I remember putting the container, whatever it was in, maybe a glass or a thermos, but I put it to my mouth and gulped the pungent liquid I remember I drank it down and I never realized how good cold and wet could feel inside of me. I didn't care about the taste or that there might be none left all I could do is drink and drink until it ran over the sides of my mouth and trickled down toward my ears. I remember that I learned to like the taste of bitter tea and that I craved it often when I was thirsty after that because I felt like it saved me from the heat of the red sun

4 Comments:

Blogger oldhall said...

I had the same thing happen with shoes being too tight.

4:47 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger SPOA said...

tight shoes suck. I hate them.

This was actually a writing exercise from a book that someone gave to me. It's called Wild Mind ~ Living the Writer's Life, by Natalie Goldberg.

It started out about a snail I found once and ended up with iced tea. (shrug) Who knows how?

8:43 AM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Isn't it fun? I want to try it out too. I'm having a cappuccino on the terrace now, under a deep blue desert sky, surrounded by ducks and with Love Train on the stereo (too loud).

10:12 AM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger SPOA said...

Surrounded by ducks Jiminy, does a cricket feel threatened by that? I don't think they are after the cappucino...

Just distract them and tapdance.

12:49 PM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home