PebblyPrattle

Much Ado about Nuthin'

Monday, November 28, 2005

November again


I get to write it again, how lucky can a girl get..

And here I was whining about the weather and I wake up to 55F degrees and the sun out like a March morning, there were even chubby robins in the yard looking for a bite to eat... I took the bike out for spin and thank god for energy drink, I was in a headwind the whole way out, but... the same wind pushed me home, so who am I to complain...

I was dodging some downed branches and a few squirrels who didn't expect to see me out there obviously, they did that back and forth, 'which-way-do-I go' thing that they do. And I felt a little bad seeing some more pink X's on trees that the city intend to take down. Why do they take down the good ones? I wonder who their horticulturist is... But this one, the one that bothers me that they are grabbing, is a double sycamore that grows right next to the path. I wonder if they knew that the creek here was used to get to hunting grounds and by war parties... the Olentangy and Wyandots looked for the sycamores to guide them in the night... because the way the moon shined on them, they called them ghost trees.

Their girth will get so big that eventually they hollow themselves out and the inside can be used as a cave for shelter. I've been in one where I could stand up and lay down comfortably...

It probably doesn't matter as much as I think it does because they grow really fast, and one will come back somewhere. I like how trees keep doing that. But it's like when I go by that place again and it'll be gone it won't look right for a very long time.

(whispering).... no one doubts that people crossed by land from Siberia. Thousands and thousands of bones connecting from there to here, lifeblood pouring in because of landmasses that once touched each other. People arrived, tribes arranged, languages, songs and stories about war and animals and chiefs.. and mountains and rivers were named things not heard now, things given new names but pictures on walls still evoking this ancient... wonder that connects back bone by bone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just reread it. Yes, it is about the same thing, or it eels like that to me. I had that feeling when I read it the first time already.

3:38 PM, January 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typo.

3:40 PM, January 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home