PebblyPrattle

Much Ado about Nuthin'

Friday, December 23, 2005

Compadre

I was talking with someone today and they said something to me. It was about projection. A word that has become a working part of my vocabulary.....though for me, it is loaded with a sort of negative connotation. Jung spoke about "projections of our inadequacies," that it is what we will do with another, that we will put upon them another a face that is not theirs in order to compensate for what we are missing. That we see only what we want to see, and it is illusory.

The person I spoke with suggested to me, what if it is more like that there is something energized in us, a certain something that the other person speaks to, and it's not something to be pulled in and away from the other person, but something to be experienced with them. As if saying to the other, "I see this in you and in stirs something in me, do you want to go along with me to see what it is? Where it might take us?" I wonder if Jung would have been less alone and less exploitative with that frame to look through.

It makes me think about patterns and how the brain will create something, an illusion, to make sense of itself if it doesn't quite understand what it is seeing. And all these intricate calculations go on, but without moral despair. It is like even at the most quantum level it is what we are doing all the time. Asking this question, "I see you and it stirs something in me...do you wanna come along... and find out what it is? "

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so good to see this here at this time. And yes, it is like that. The stirring thing and the question and the answer.

4:55 AM, December 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just the beginning Emma :). I've got a tornado, not just a stirring right now, exploring this thought. I'll continue with it... but after the holiday.

6:04 AM, December 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home