What Are You Doing This Summer?
You know, I'm not even sure. This is an odd summer for sure, I usually have some sort of plan, but this one seems like it will be a going by the seata my pants one.
We're talking about taking a few days and going here:
Lakeside
Which would include going here:
PutinBay
And include riding these:
Bikes
But I just don't know. We could really use a family vacation of some sort, even if it was only for 3 days. Leaving the shop won't be easy, but we are really considering it...
The kids are all entering something in the Arts and Crafts show here in town. I'm going to ask Nick's girl-friend (girl that's a friend, but a girl that's an almost girlfriend...) to help him, and the little kids are each doing something different from the other: Lea is entering a photograph and Steven wants to do a sculpture of some kind. I should probably get them on that today at some point. I want them to be able to enter something while Nick is still 17, I thought it would be a lovely thing for them to do together.
Besides working, I'll do the girl scout daycamp thing in July ~ I really like doing that... I think I still like doing that, I'll get back to the blog with details after it's over. I might hate it now. And with my off-time I'm going to read everything Milan Kundera wrote or I'll ride around and go to various tag sales looking for old books and lawn chairs. I'll probably find a cheap tent and put it up in the backyard and sleep there sometimes on the weekends. I won't be able to talk Royce into joining me...oh, maybe I will, I dunno; with the right air matress he might just cave. My kids will sleep out there too, they can sleep outside happily usually.
I don't have any serious summer resolution about anything in particular to accomplish, or places to go... although I would like to go peach picking next month. And I would like to make it a regular habit to walk with my friend Alissa on Friday mornings, and see friends for lunch on Tuesdays (they don't know about this yet...)
I was thinking I might pick through the trifles and unfetter a poem from the crevasse of my gut-center that would take all summer to write, but as you can see creative writing just ain't my thing right now. I've lost the edge dudes, if I ever had it.
You know what? I need a shower.
We're talking about taking a few days and going here:
Lakeside
Which would include going here:
PutinBay
And include riding these:
Bikes
But I just don't know. We could really use a family vacation of some sort, even if it was only for 3 days. Leaving the shop won't be easy, but we are really considering it...
The kids are all entering something in the Arts and Crafts show here in town. I'm going to ask Nick's girl-friend (girl that's a friend, but a girl that's an almost girlfriend...) to help him, and the little kids are each doing something different from the other: Lea is entering a photograph and Steven wants to do a sculpture of some kind. I should probably get them on that today at some point. I want them to be able to enter something while Nick is still 17, I thought it would be a lovely thing for them to do together.
Besides working, I'll do the girl scout daycamp thing in July ~ I really like doing that... I think I still like doing that, I'll get back to the blog with details after it's over. I might hate it now. And with my off-time I'm going to read everything Milan Kundera wrote or I'll ride around and go to various tag sales looking for old books and lawn chairs. I'll probably find a cheap tent and put it up in the backyard and sleep there sometimes on the weekends. I won't be able to talk Royce into joining me...oh, maybe I will, I dunno; with the right air matress he might just cave. My kids will sleep out there too, they can sleep outside happily usually.
I don't have any serious summer resolution about anything in particular to accomplish, or places to go... although I would like to go peach picking next month. And I would like to make it a regular habit to walk with my friend Alissa on Friday mornings, and see friends for lunch on Tuesdays (they don't know about this yet...)
I was thinking I might pick through the trifles and unfetter a poem from the crevasse of my gut-center that would take all summer to write, but as you can see creative writing just ain't my thing right now. I've lost the edge dudes, if I ever had it.
You know what? I need a shower.

9 Comments:
Lol, what are you talking about? It's ebb and flood, you know that better than I do. Ebb is when you gather new material - like reading everything by Milan Kundera.
I'm in a recptive mode myself now, so when I couldn't find Immortality, I got Identity instead; the idea of not reading was unacceptable. I haven't read much in the past months, simply because I felt more like writing. But even when reading The ULOB, I felt some kind of construction work going on inside. Someone was laying foundations.
Lost your edge. Weirdo.
And I'm very bummed about not being as pretty, but I don't feel like wearing make-up or fussing with my hair.:)
Same here really, I've hardly read novels at all, but now I have the determination to get back to Immortality daily. You will love this book, it's wonderful. Kundera writes the metanovel though, very satisfying, yes? I'm a Kunderaian now :) Constructing too maybe. I get scared though. Afraid of the dancing days being over, of "sorry princess, there ain't no more where that came from. So, clean your house."
Guess what? All the Pretty Horse is waiting at the library right now :)
more than one horse. All The Pretty HorseS
You mean ALL of them? I wonder what you'll think of it.
As for the rest, you know what the man said: it's not about pretty, it's about beauty, and beauty don't need no fussin'.
The other book woke a hunger for more, so satisfying is probably not the right word, but the fact that it did might indicate that your dancing days are far from over. I can't imagine otherwise, btw.
I feel Kunderian too. Could it mean that we're turning Czech? Or French, maybe. Scary thought.
You're right, that should probably be Kunderaian.
Oh, btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohLd4C-Bh0Y&mode=related&search=
Nice site, enjoyable reading, beautiful family :o)
Hullo Pebbly,
Put In Bay ... already I'm soggy with nostalgia. We used to fish off West Sister Island and the Bass Islands.
Back in the 50s, Put In Bay was beautiful; like a big park and there was a motor launch out of Lakeside which took you there. They also sailed to Kelley's Island, where there were said to be grooves in the rock left by a retreating glacier, but I never went there.
A really NEAT island I always wanted to land on was Mouse Island around Catawba Point from Lakeside. It's quite tiny and only about five miles offshore. Back around 1900, it was the summer home of Rutherford B. Hayes, one of the lesser lights of the U.S. presidency.
The house was still there when I was a kid (though I understand it has since burned down) and apparently was still furnished.
We knew some people who kept a trailer at Catawba, and they told stories of people going out there in the winter, stealing furniture from the Hayes mansion and shoving it home across the ice.
We motored around it a few times and I saw the house from the water, but we never landed. Damn adults anyhow!
I'm sure there is no passenger service to Mouse Island, but if you rent a boat for fishing or whatever ... I'd love to see pictures.
Hi mac :), Great read, so glad you added it here.
If we get up there I will photograph the hell out of it for you. My kids have never been and I thought that ought to be remedied.
Do you have the pics from Alaska on your site yet? I'll go and look. K
Hi pebbly,
Thought I'd have the Alaska photos posted weeks ago, but kept having to do other stuff. I'm looking forward to it, but always seemed to be something more urgent. Like building doors for the crawl space.
Stay tuned.
Mac
Post a Comment
<< Home