PebblyPrattle

Much Ado about Nuthin'

Thursday, November 17, 2005

What is it.

What is it about a trip that throws me into doing nothing mode? My friend calls it being a Last Minute Annie... Another friend Marjorie just dropped off her daughter and she's like, what're you doing in your PJ's? I went, Um, I'm going on a road trip this weekend....?

She's like, "Oh I can tell...."

Anyhow, so here I am blogging. I can't get my accounts to balance on any of my sheets and I'm flipping through an O magazine that Leslie gave me last night and sucking on a bowla soup...

Sigh. Well I know I'll be ready when the car pulls outta the station tomorrow, and eventually the Quickbooks god will smile on me and {poof} I will be in the black and I will be balanced... I ain't worried. Small potatoes....

Meanwhile, I am wearing the jammie pants I made. They are still E-freakin' normous, but my failure to wash the fabric before sewing was a blessing in that they shrunk up real soft and nice..

My dad calls me this morning after we get back from the dentist.

"Hellooooo?"

"Hey, I have somethin' to ask you..." (or "tell you" if in another conversation. He always starts the same way) (And then another thing he does when there is a moment of silence he'll say, "So what's been goin' on?" It's a running joke to say, "So what's been going on" when we are in the mood to make fun of him.)

He goes, "Ok, how do I put this." (Oh shit this does not sound good.)"I was wondering, let's see, I wanted to find out.. um..."

I interupt, "Pop, please do not get me a figurine or any collectibles for my birthday."

He laughs, "No, I won't. What I wanted to know is there anything.. do you have pictures or something from the happier times in your life..?"

(my psychological antenna stirs.... "happier times in my life?" Hmmmmm)

"Like what do you mean daddy? Whatchu need..?"

"Well I don't know. Do you girls have anything from your mom ~ pictures or something?"

"No Pop, the girls have everything and mine is in the dump in Grove City." (A point of contention that I will go into in another blog)

So I go, "I started sewing. Why don't you get me something to do with that...?

"Oh no I will leave the practical gift giving to your husband..."

And he is right man ~ Dude bought me a sweeper and a bike. (sigh)Ho-hum. (Resolve: I will take my sons into Victoria's Secret while making purchases so they will never feel uncomfortable being in there.) That sounds ungrateful, I know. But it's something we, my sisters and me, were trained for: Good gifts.

So my dad goes, "I'll think of something." And then real loud, "Oh shoot! Oh damn... some old lady just pulled out in front of me.. sheesh..."

I was completely moved. He is risking his life on the road to think of the perfect birthday gift.

I don't have the heart to tell him that I was given an early gift...Ima callin' it my worry stone... a lumpy lump on my left breast.

(Addendum: After reading this Nick said, "What?! What do you mean? I would never feel uncomfortable going into Victoria's Secret!" I was like, "O.k. Nicholas, just don't let 'em take my breast..." lol)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home