PebblyPrattle

Much Ado about Nuthin'

Monday, September 24, 2007

Business of Busy, part deux

What was I missing, it seemed like I was missing simple joy by being caught up in the business of Busy. I mean, how can you make time for joy when every second of your existence is filled with a check-off list while being Busy. Time for joy takes a backseat my friends to supper and dishes, math and science homework, working, budgeting, dropping a kid here or there, making a bed, hanging laundry out to dry, keeping a customer happy, making phone calls for event planning, showing up on time... Let me tell you, joy is the farthest thing from your mind when your business is being Busy.

Let's talk a minute about surrending to true pleasure and not being "on" each and every moment while Busy. We steal our happiness there you know, while being Busy (chocolate, masturbation, french fries, flattery), and we do it quickly, lickety split, filling up on it. We fill up on it like there is a cavern of need for something wonderful in our bellies, and swallow it like dogs scarfing a piece of meat. It's like, dang, did you even taste that? But no, I can answer for the dog because have you seen one afterward? After you throw it a juicy piece of steak and it swallows it whole? It just sits there begging for another. One more pretty please because it smell so good, so it know it's just got to taste good, but who has time to savor the flavor when there is a hole to fill?

Ok this is where the idea of mindfulness comes in real handy in the modern world. In the world of Busy. An access to true pleasure. Some people call it mini-vacations, you've heard of this right? Where you take small time-outs out of Busy into the idea of Now. Now is now by the way. You are in Now now. It is a way to take a slice of time, time that doesn't really exist on a level we understand it, but where we can think ourselves in a moment of it because of sheer willpower to conceive time and so Now is the time that we call the present moment. And when we can be aware that we are in a moment we can find sheer joy just in being. Being in Now.

Being in Now. It's kind of a place so it ought to be capitalized, like a state. Being in Now is better than being any place else because you can go to Being in Now anywhere, anytime. Being in Now, is called "Now" for short. You can just call it Now instead of Being in Now. It's easier.

I'm not in Now now (even though I am, I just don't know I am), by the way, because I'm talking about it so I can't really comprehend that I'm there, or actually, here. Plus I'm talking to you about it and since I'm not sure you are with me and I'd rather be with you, so Now will have to wait.

Ok what happens in Now are really deep breaths and loads of gratitude which in some strange way interprets itself inside as a peak of joy. I often go to Now in the library because it's so quiet in there, but I have gone to Now in the middle of a mall before (not often, but maybe once when the kids were little playing on the giant pieces of plastic breakfast food they built as a playground. Being in Now was a respite from being in the playground, but since I was in the playground while being in Now, I could not be in one without being in the other. So I guess it can go hand-in-hand like that. Even being in a place you hate can bring you round to being in Now. It's impossible to say why).

I can't control going to Now, but I can suddenly be aware of being there, or actually, here. Being here is being there, if you know what I mean.

But back to the peak of joy. This peak is not accompanied by joy alone, there is also a sweetness to it, but you can't load up on it and wolf it down or anything, or you might get sick or something. It's something you just have to enjoy while it's there,... or here, I mean. You can't save any for later. You just can't. There can sometimes be a twinge of yearning with it, but that is odd because as you are yearning for it, it is already there (here). I think the yearning is for the future of it. But that is also strange because there is no future in Now. Now just kind of strings along together until it no longer is (even though it never isn't, we just don't know that). Until it is no longer understood as Now which is the point in time (which, remember, no longer exists on any real level we can comprehend. I mean aside from the Einstein kind of time) where you leave Now to go along doing what you set out in the morning to do with your list of things to do.

More on the sweetness of joy of Being in Now later because I gotta get Busy.

At a later Now I mean. Even though I probably won't be there, or actually, here.. Or really what I mean is, Now, when I tell you about it. I won't be in Now because I'd rather be with you than in Now. Because if I'm in Now and you aren't with me (even though we are in Now now, we're in Now all the time, even when we're Busy, we just don't know it), what's the fun in that?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and count to ten slowly....

:)

6:19 PM, September 24, 2007  
Blogger SPOA said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAlWxZK-ps4&mode=related&search=

:)

6:15 AM, September 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very true, you know. Very perceptive. And reading it, I realized why some of my nicest memories are of times I was waiting for the tow truck when my car broke down on the highway.
You sit there and stew for a while,but then you accept the fact that you're stuck, and you begin to notice the ten square yards or so of grass and dirt you can see from the passenger door. There are bits of trash and patches of crabgrass and dandylion and stunted little trees and anthills and maybe grasshoppers snapping around.
You sit there and watch them because there's nothing else to do, and suddenly you're just ... happy.
Afterward, when you're driving past that nondescript bit of grass and scrub, you think, "I was happy here once," and you remember of the ants and grasshoppers and you think, "I hope you guys made it through the winter okay."
Mac

2:28 AM, October 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

6:24 AM, October 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home