Open letter to my son
Good morning, I love you. I wanted to let you know that I'm proud of you for trying to find balance in your life with the things you want to do and the the things you like.
I was thinking that since you are such an investigative person that you might want to consider introducing yourself to the thinkers of our lives. Kierkegaard, Goethe, Jung, Kant, Ram Dass, Emerson and other transcendentalists, Daniel Dennet, Krishnamurti, so many others. I would love for you to watch this vid of Joseph Campbell that speaks to where you are.
http://youtu.be/aGx4IlppSgU
The most important thing you can do for yourself, Son, is to teach yourself how to think well, how to reason. It will help you to cope with a very difficult human existence. Realizing that our lives here are just a blip, a moment in time, a snap, and then we're gone.
We're here now though, and figuring out how to make the best of that time so that the ones who come after us might emotionally and mentally fair better than we, and far better than those before us. That's our work, darling.
Our work is to think, to cope, to mature, to become adults. Everyone around us in this life will see us and begin to mimic us. They will follow our lead.
Our future culture will benefit greatly from that. They might even get a fighting chance to survive.
I was thinking that since you are such an investigative person that you might want to consider introducing yourself to the thinkers of our lives. Kierkegaard, Goethe, Jung, Kant, Ram Dass, Emerson and other transcendentalists, Daniel Dennet, Krishnamurti, so many others. I would love for you to watch this vid of Joseph Campbell that speaks to where you are.
http://youtu.be/aGx4IlppSgU
The most important thing you can do for yourself, Son, is to teach yourself how to think well, how to reason. It will help you to cope with a very difficult human existence. Realizing that our lives here are just a blip, a moment in time, a snap, and then we're gone.
We're here now though, and figuring out how to make the best of that time so that the ones who come after us might emotionally and mentally fair better than we, and far better than those before us. That's our work, darling.
Our work is to think, to cope, to mature, to become adults. Everyone around us in this life will see us and begin to mimic us. They will follow our lead.
Our future culture will benefit greatly from that. They might even get a fighting chance to survive.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home